Noun Clauses with Question Words

Noun clauses with question words adalah klausa nomina yang diawali dengan kata tanya, seperti: when, where, why, how, who, whom, what, which, whose.

Contoh:
- I don’t know where he lives.
- Do you know when they came?
- Please tell me what you want!
- I don’t understand why Susan is absent today.
- I wonder who is outside.
- I don’t know who she is.
- I don’t know whose car that is.



Perhatikan contoh berikut ini:
(a) Where does he live?
(b) I don’t know where he lives.
(c) When did they leave?
(d) Do you know when they left?
(e) What did she say?
(f) Please tell me what she said.
(g) Why is Jerry angry?
(h) I wonder why Jerry is angry.
(i) Who came to class?
(j) I don’t know who came to class.
(k) What happened?
(l) Tell me what happened?


Dari contoh di atas, yang termasuk klausa nomina atau noun clause adalah (b),(f), (h), (j), (l), sedangkan (a),(c),(e), (g), (i), (k) disebut sebagai kalimat tanya atau information question (wh-question). Jadi, noun clause with a question word dan information question berbeda pemakaiannya dalam suatu kalimat. Khusus untuk (d) adalah kalimat tanya (do you know…) yang di dalamnya mengandung klausa nomina (when they left).

Jangan sampai membuat kalimat seperti ini:
- I don’t know where do you live?

Kalimat di atas adalah clause dan tidak tepat jika menggunakan where do you live. Seharusnya kalimat itu menjadi seperti ini:
- I don’t know where you live.

Tetapi jika memang ingin bertanya, kalimatnya menjadi seperti ini:
- Where do you live?
Ini merupakan kalimat tanya bukan clause.


Perhatikan juga contoh berikut ini:
- I don’t understand why does she love me? (Salah)
- I don’t understand why she loves me. (Benar)
- Why does she love me? (Benar)


Contoh lainnya:
- Tell me what will happen.
- I do not know who they are.
- Do you know what book she has?
- Do you know which book she wants?
- Do you know whose book that is?
- I am confused why she goes, when she goes and where she is now.
- Help me how I can get to station.
- I do not understand what he does.
- He told me what he had done.
- I will interview whoever comes.
- I do not know who will come.



Perhatikan beberapa contoh lagi berikut ini yang membandingkan antara kalimat tanya (questions) dengan noun clauses with question words:

- Why is Tom absent?
- I wonder why Tom is absent.

- Who is that boy?
- Tell me who that boy is.

- Whose pen is this?
- Tell me whose pen this is.

- Who is in the office?
- Tell me who is in the office.

- Whose pen is on the desk?
- Tell me whose pen is on the desk.

- What did he say?
- I couldn’t hear what he said.

- When do they arrive?
- Do you know when they arrive?

- What happened?
- Please tell me what happened.

- Who is at the door?
- I wonder who is at the door.

- Who is she?
- I don’t know who she is.

- Who are those men?
- I don’t know who those men are.

- Whose house is that?
- I wonder whose house that is.

- What did she say?
- What she said surprised me.

- What should they do?
- What they should do is obvious.



No comments: