Noun clauses atau klausa nomina adalah sekelompok kata yang tidak dapat berdiri sendiri (dependent clauses) yang memiliki subjek dan predikat dan berfungsi seperti halnya nouns (nomina), yaitu bisa sebagai subject, object, atau complement. Noun clauses biasa diawali dengan subordinating conjunctions atau relative pronouns.
- That he could be mistaken didn't seem possible.
- What I want for dinner is a hamburger.
- I noticed that the door was open.
- The host told us how he escaped.
Sebagai complement (subjective complement)
- The idea is that we take it in turns.
- The vacation is what I need most.
Dengan it (empty subject)
- It didn't seem possible that he could be mistaken.
- It was a year ago today that I started working here.
- We had a discussion about who should be invited.
- Give it to whoever arrives first.
- I was ashamed that I'd let my friends down.
- She was sorry that she'd lost her temper.
- You can't deny the fact that you received the message.
- The police have information that he may now be living in Hongkong.
Beberapa kata kerja (verbs) yang biasa digunakan dalam klausa nomina (noun clauses) adalah: answer, ask, assume, believe, decide, expect, forget, hear, hope, imagine, know, learn, recognize, remember, remind, reply, say, see, seem, suppose, tell, think, understand.
- I hope that you arrived safely.
- No one believes that the earth is flat.
- I know where his house is.
- I remember when he was very young.
- I was reminded how lucky I was.
- The facts tell us that this is not true.
- He replied that this was absolutely impossible.